Music News – April 2021
Posted on: Friday 26 March 2021
Posted in: Music
What have our musicians been doing in the second half of Term 1?
- Play Out on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 March allowed our Senior Strings as well as Junior and Middle/Senior Concert Bands and Big Band the opportunity to rehearse intensively and have the opportunity to work with a guest conductor – Dr Karen Lonsdale. Dr Lonsdale provided our musicians with many ideas to develop their performances and performance etiquette as well as working individually with some of our flute students in a Masterclass situation. Many thanks to the keen supporters who came to hear this event’s culminating concert.
- The second Twilight Concert of 2021 followed on the evening of Tuesday 16 March in Langford Theatre, featuring performances from Years 2-3 Choir, Senior Strings, Middle/Senior Concert Band and Big Band plus 7 soloists (from Years 7-10). Demand for tickets was at an all time high due to the reputation of the largest ensemble from Years 2 and 3 who performed with great aplomb and then got to hear many of our Senior Ensembles perform as well.
- Members of our Years 4-6 Choir have also completed auditions to be part of Years 4-6 Vocal Ensemble which rehearses weekly after Choir.
- Annalize de Wet (Year 10) who as a trombonist with the Griffith University Young Conservatorium Wind Orchestra for the last 4 years successfully auditioned to be part of a performance with the professional Conservatorium Wind Orchestra. Congratulations to Annalize for this outstanding achievement which culminated with the performance on Friday 19 March.
- Flora Yang (Year 9) on being accepted into the Prodigy Project with the Qld Symphony Orchestra where she will get to rehearse, be mentored and play a cello duet with one of the orchestras cellists, as part of their visit to HOTA on Friday 7 May.
Head of Music