Since 1912, St Hilda’s School has shared the vision of a world-class, active learning environment that embraces innovation and is enriched with faith and tradition.



Sports Carnival Junior 1994 Circa 1907 Netball Team 1929

1912

Originally known as Goy-te-Lea in the late nineteenth century, the school was purchased by the Brisbane Diocese in 1912 and became St Hilda’s School.

The History of St Hilda's School would be incomplete without mentioning Miss Helena Davenport, whose vision in founding a girls' school in Southport set in motion the foundation of what was to become St Hilda's School.

Miss Catherine Bourne served as Principal of St Hilda's School from 1912-1923.

1922

On 18 April 1922, a meeting was held to form the St Hilda's Old Girls' Association (OGA), elect office-bearers and a committee and formulate rules and regulations. The main purpose of the OGA was to ensure Old Girls continued to connect with each other and the School.

Old Girls Then St Hildas 1929 St Hildas Seniors 1995

1924-1951

Miss Winifred Fittock served as St Hilda's School Principal for 28 years from 1924-1951.

During her years as Principal, Miss Fittock was beset by challenges from events and circumstances external to the school's environment. These included the Depression years of the late 1920s and early 1930s, World War II and severe drought through Queensland.

Despite the many challenges, the Oval, Library and Assembly Hall were all opened throughout this period of time.

1952-1964

Miss Gwendoline Horton became the fourth Principal of St Hilda's School in 1952.

In 1952, Miss Horton introduced the House system to provide more opportunities for student leadership and participation.

The Swimming Pool was officially opened in 1954. Originally, the Swimming Pool was to be located at the front of the school and filled with saltwater pumped from the sea. The Bourne and Fittock Buildings (Junior School) were opened on Speech Day in 1958.

DL 00045 d Charabanc rowing MS 00002 d Overell guide 1960s DL 00397 r Opening of Reeves003

1965-1974

When Miss Helen Granowski was appointed St Hilda's School Principal in 1965, she was one of the youngest Principals in Australia.

Dr Granowski was an advocate for improving building conditions and facilities throughout her time as Principal at St Hilda’s School. In 1967, she commissioned the building of the Science block, followed by the June Bailey Library Room in 1968. Her next big project was the McCulloch wing and subsequent facilities and McCulloch House in 1970.

Many other projects were undertaken throughout her time at the School with the assistance of the Father’s Project Club, created by Dr Granowski. She was also instrumental in the building of the Horton Centre in 1972, before departing St Hilda’s in 1974 to complete further study at London University.

1974-1988

Miss Jennifer Reeves served as St Hilda's School Principal from 1974-1988.

During this time the Science Block was refurbished, Accounting was introduced to Senior School curriculum and the first computers were installed in the school.

The Granowski Building was opened in 1981 and the Reeves Building was opened in late 1988.

St Hilda's School celebrated its 75th anniversary in 1987.

DL 00194 d Lola Lusk Golden Oldies Yr 12 1992 Twila Green CHAP 6 Sports Cabin on left Yr 9 block on right 1980

1989-2002

Mrs Josie James was appointed the seventh St Hilda's School Principal in 1989.

Mrs James brought a wealth of experience to the principalship of St Hilda's and a very clear vision and determination to help the school move forward into the 21st century, establishing it as the 'cutting-edge' of girls' education.

The Molphy Science Centre was opened in 1991 and paved the way for the renowned STEM subjects that St Hilda's School offers today.

2003-2005

Mrs Sandra Langford was appointed the eighth St Hilda's School Principal in 2003.

The St Hilda's Online Curriculum was implemented in 2003, leading to positive change and streamlined communication.

Pre-Prep was established in 2004 and continues to flourish as a special part of the educational journey at St Hilda's.

In 2004, the School magazine was also renamed The Ammonite.

Ch 8 P8 Inaugual Preprep Class 2004 Ch8pg4 House musical Karagaroo Prefects 2000 Tarryn Brown School Captain middle back row

2006-2016

Mr Peter Crawley was appointed the ninth St Hilda's School Principal in 2006 and continued his tenure for 10 years, departing St Hilda's School in 2016.

The Abbey Early Childhood Centre was constructed in 2007, followed by the Multi-Purpose Centre in 2010.

St Hilda's School celebrated our 100th anniversary in 2012, marking a momentous occasion in history.